Nov. 2012

Monday, July 30, 2007

Isaac's bedtime


Sometimes getting Isaac to bed can be tricky. He will willing go to his bedroom. Its how he gets there or whether or not he stays in his room that makes bedtime later and later. Isaac is the master of stalling. It starts with him going to bed and us saying our good nights. We have been letting him read some books in his room for about 20 minutes.
Last night when he heard me walking around the house he called out "mom read one book to me." and one book become "just one more" again and again. Once his reading time was over he called out "daddy please tuck me in".
A few minutes later we heard the pitter patter of little feet running toward the living room. Kyle caught him in time before Isaac noticed we were eating ice cream.
Isaac: "Mommy WANTS to kiss me."
Kyle: "Mommy is feeding Eli now so you need to go back to bed and wait for mom to finish. She will come and kiss you then.
Isaac: "Daddy march with me and sing Bob the Builder"

A few mintues later I go to Isaacs room to kiss him.
Isaac: (after I kiss him) "Mommy you were eating ice cream."
Me: Yes I was Good night

A few minutes later again Isaac opens his door
Isaac: "I want to eat ice cream"
We cave and dish him out a bowl. He enjoys it at the table and then walks into the living room and sits on the couch.
Isaac: "So lets talk." Lets talk about when Eli gets bigger and I will play with him."
Me: "What will you play"
Isaac proceeds to talk about all his plans for him and Eli. Flying with grandpa. playing cars and trucks. sleeping on bunkbeds, etc. Finally Kyle and he march back to bed again and Isaac is either satisfied with his time spent with mom and dad, ice cream in his tummy or flat out tired enough to fall asleep.

We don't always cave into the request for cereal or ice cream. And we don't always let him come in and out over and over again. But there are times were we are simply just enjoying the delay tactics. Its amazing what a 2 year old can come up with sometimes. There are times when we just want to enjoy the company and tricks of Isaac and let go a little bit on always following through with the discipline. He'll only be 2 once.

2 comments:

djp375 said...

Dear Isaac, I think mom and dad are right to let you have some extra time with them, and you sure know how to work it. You are such a smart little man. I love the fact that you wanted to tell mom and dad what kind of neat things you are going to do with your brother Eli. He is so lucky to have a big brother like you.

One thing I remember from the last time I was at your house was how you can sense ice cream from a mile away. I remember how you eat it so fast that you get a headache and put your little hand to your head and wrinkle those blue eyes of yours. It is then that you get a drink of water and everyting is ok and back to finishing your icecream.

I know how busy mom and dad are and how much they enjoy spending time alone together at the end of the day, but they love you so much and know that letting you breaka the rules once in awhile is a good thing. As mom said you are only 2 once.

Oh, by the way whose bed are you in in this picture? It looks to me like you have Prema's pillowcase and pillow under that cute head of yours.

Grandma loves you so much. I can hardly wait to see you in September.

Love,
Grandma

PS. Nice to see you have clothes on.

Timothy Miller said...

Ahh the scent of ice cream in a kiss...perceptive little bugger.