Nov. 2012

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Their world and Ours

Isaac: "Mom can you call Grandma and Grandpa and Dad RIGHT NOW so that they can come see the horses before they have surgery?"

Me: "Do you really think I should call Grandma, Grandpa, and Dad so that they can stop everything RIGHT NOW to come and participate in your pretend world?"

Isaac: "Yeah!" (big smile)

Me: "No not gonna happen."

I've been somewhat irritated lately how the pretend world exists on the same level as real life and how the pretend world creates so much bickering between the boys when one of their worlds doesn't mesh with the others. For example, when they are arguing over whether or not you can feed a horse a peppermint or if one wins a pretend world race and the other loses.

My latest statement: "If you pretend world doesn't bring joy, than that pretend world cannot exist." Not sure if that is a good statement to make yet because I am still sorting it all out in my head since I do love their creativity and want to celebrate it.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Too funny.
I think they will find reasons to bicker no matter what the play scenario...sigh

but I bet the pretend scenarios have so much appeal precisely because they feel they can have the power, the control to make their arbitrary judgements in the worlds of their making - no reality or higher authority to which the dissenter can appeal.

At least they're practicing reasoning of some sort with each other some of the time...it isn't always "might makes right"