Nov. 2012

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

New Things for Me

Today marked the beginning of two new things for me; both of which bring a bit of anxiety.

I have been asked by a special task force (Director and Assistant Director of Adoptions for Pinellas County Florida and our adotion attachment therapy LMHC) to start an adoption support group for Pinellas County Florida. Throughout the years Child Welfare has come to see a huge need for support for families that have just adopted. Families have been calling several years after an adoption is finalized to dissolve the adoption either because it is the only way to get a child the services they need or because the family can no longer raise the child mostly due to emotional/ behavioral reasons. The hope is that an adoption support group would become a preventative solution to these problems. So I have enthusiastically (with some anxiety) agreed to begin this group. So far things have come into place beautifully. We have a place to meet every 4th Monday evening of the month and I have a great friend and experienced adoptive mother as my assistant. Out first meeting will be October 27 (my birthday). Many adoptive families will be invited this coming month...we shall see how many come and what are their needs. I am every excited for this opportunity. I have become extremely passionate about adoption, children with emotional needs due to neglect and trauma, and yearn to help adoptive families who are struggling to become whole.

This evening I registered for my first triathlon. I will be competing in the Publix Family Fitness Cypress Gardens Sprint Triathlon October 11. I am very nervous. I have been trying to fit training in as much as possible. I have swam a number of times and do pretty well. I have biked 3 or 4 long rides towing the boys behind me. And I have been running about 3 times a week usually pushing Eli in the stroller. So we'll see how I do. I am only trying to finish and have FUN. The FUN part is really a challenge for me as I make everything so competitive and set such high expectations for myself. So we shall see. Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Courtney Patch said...

Michelle, I am so proud of you. Both of these things are amazing. Praying for you and the anxiousness that comes with them; but know they're also soooo good. Love you and miss you!!!~!

Carrie said...

Wow, Michelle. I think you will do wonderfully at both of those things! So, good luck!!

djp375 said...

Wow Michelle, as everyone has said you will be great at the adoption support program. You have always been a great leader and never afraid to take on a new challenge. You are always determened, organized and prepared. I know it will be a huge success and a wonderful service that I am sure adoptive parents will find so helpful.

I asked you a while ago if you were training for a triathalon and you said you did not know if you would be ready. I a proud of you for getting youself in such great physical shape. The Cullum family are all into physical fitness now, which is great. I eny you. My back has been pretty bad lately and I am unable to bike, or even do any of the walking I sues to do. It sucks.

God Bless you and I know you will be a huge success. Proud to be your mother.

Love
Mom