Nov. 2012

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

A Child mind, A Woman's Body


Last night we discovered the news I have dreaded for quite some time. Some mothers and daughters celebrate this day as a time of coming of age. I was still hoping yesterday that I had at least 9 more months until the big day. Prema started her first menstrual cycle yesterday. Its a shock to my system. I am overwhelmed with the possible limitations it may hold, as her body (hormones) tell her to be independent and we still fight for attachment. I fear our expectations for learning will be stifled. I am also just dreading the hygiene issues related to it.

Its an odd thing to have a two year old in mind having a woman's body. Prema, not knowing what it really means, is announcing to everyone its arrival with graphic signs (blood flowing from her vagina). After inserting a pad into her underwear she walked with her legs extremely spread apart. Thankfully her teacher saw the humor in it and helped me to laugh about the situation too.

So now I am back to helping all 3 kids with their bathroom needs; changing diapers, wiping poopy butts, and changing pads. I really hope that Prema will be able to do it on her own within couple of months, but she still can't even brush her teeth herself (coordination problems) so it might be too hopeful for the other.

2 comments:

djp375 said...

Oh Michelle, I know how much you were hating and dreading this day. Maybe you will be lucky and she will not get it again for a few months. Working where I do, I know that this does happen on some occasions, maybe the good Lord will grant you this gift.

You can be thankful that she is deaf and is not talking out loud to people telling them all about blood coming out of her vagina. Just think about how embarassing that would be, so that is something you can be thankful for in all of this.

I wish there was something I could do to help you through all of this, but the only thing I can do is pray for all of you. I do that everyday, but I will increase my efforts.

You should call and talk to me about some options that are available for girls who are mentally or physically challenged that prevents them from getting their cycles. We have many many people that do this, and I think it might be something you may want to investigate and talk to your doctor about.

Love
Mom

Diana Z said...

Hi Michelle-

I'm sure you'll be surprised to find a post from me as we haven't been in contact in a long time. I think of you often, but you know how life gets. After reading your post I just had to comment. As I was reading it thoughts of ways to prevent Prema from getting her cycle was all I could think about and then I read your Mom's post and I definitely feel you should talk with her about this.

With having a teenage boy with special needs and in full blown puberty the only thing I'm thankful for is that I don't have a girl to go through this with. I truly believe that God would understand you pursuing this. Life is difficult enough as it is for both of you, you don't need it to be worse with something she will never fully understand.

I'd love to talk with you more about this. Drop me an email or give me a call.

Love, Diana