Nov. 2012

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Spoken LIke a True Cullum Boy/ Man

We have potty trained our boys the easiest way for us. In the winter/ spring when the weather is perfect for being outside a lot we allowed them to run around naked. The pros to this method have been less expense on diapers, less wet/ soiled clothes, only a few floor clean ups, and not always needing to ask "do you need to use the bathroom". The cons could possibly be that my boys seem to have an infatuation with their private friend more that most and they have no problem, even when older, pulling their pants down anywhere and relieving themselves in public. Eli took longer to potty train and so he spent a longer time being naked. Possibly as a result he is often asking to remove a piece of clothing, talks about and plays with his private friend more often than Isaac, etc.

Our potty training technique may have had something to do with our boys often shedding their clothes, but it is also a Cullum trait (at least for the Cullum generation before (a.k.a Kyle and Sam). see Amber's Articles for evidence. Kyle is the same.

On July 10th we celebrated with Kyle's cousin Matthew Cullum and the now Jackie Cullum at their wedding. Just after Jackie walked down the aisle, even before the vows,Eli our nudist asked rather loudly "When is she (Jackie) going to take her dress off?" Spoken like a True Cullum Boy/Son!!!!

2 comments:

Amber said...

I have heard this story and it still makes me laugh. Bennett doesn't stand a chance.........of wearing clothes, that is. I didn't wear anything but under wear, while playing outside, until I was 6 years old. My mom would have me dressed and then find my clothes all of the neighborhood.

Sandy said...

Amen, sister! I believe I've told you both that we heard from elderly neighbors in the OLV in our early years that they got a real kick out of watching our boys play naked or in their underwear in the front yard. If they only knew how often they ran around nude in the back yard!

Michelle, I was just thinking yesterday when Eli announced he had to poop on his self-motivated way into the bathroom, how grateful I was for your potty training methods and how effective they were with your boys. Of course, that was before I came out to load up the car with stuff and boys and was greeted by Eli announcing "I pooped, Grandma!" as he did the distinctive diarrhea shuffle the length of the driveway.

When I asked him why he didn't tell me he had to go, he replied, "Because I was playing baseball," in that almost incredulous tone of voice that communicated surprise that I would even ask, since the answer was so obvious.

Amber, I don't think I went as far as you, leaving my clothes around the neighborhood, but I do remember heartily disliking and resisting my mom's efforts to make me wear tops of some sort at the beach and in the back yard kiddie pool when I was 7.