Nov. 2012

Sunday, November 2, 2008

Saint Alphonsa and Isaac




In celebration of All Souls/ All Saints Day at church today Prema and Isaac dressed up as saints. Prema was the first woman saint of India, Sister Alphonsa who was canonized last month. Isaac was dressed as Fr. Isaac Joques, a French missionary to the Indians in Canada. The kids wore their costumes all during mass and then after communion they processed in and walked around the church as the people sang "Oh When the Saints Go Marching In".

These costumes were my second sewing project as an adult. Last year I made a school bag for Prema. The costume patterns said it would take 2 hours each, but it took much longer as I needed to re-acquaint myself with the sewing machine and have not followed a sewing pattern since middle school. Isaac's took me at least 6 hours and Prema's took about 3 hours. I had some very informative and helpful instruction from my mother in law Sandy before I began. I've always wanted to learn to sew, so I decided this was the time to start. I didn't even know the basics like how to measure the material. I'm happy with how they turned out and I did have many enjoyable moments doing it among the other stressful and frustrating moments.

1 comment:

djp375 said...

They do look like 2 saints. Prema looks just like a nun, the costume is great. Isaac's costume is great as well.
Michelle, you did a great job on the outfits. No one would think that this was only your 2nd sewing project. I can see that there will be many more sewing projects to come.
Michelle, you never cease to amaze me, you set your mind to do somethng and you do it. You wanted to do a trathlon and you trained and did it. You decided to learn how to sew and sew these costumes, you did that too. You always give it 100%. You are always determined and never give up.
It looks like Isaac shaved his head, maybe in mourning for the Ray's getting beat. I know he really wanted them to win.

Looking forward to seeing all of you in just a little over a week.
Love
Mom